Sunday, June 27, 2010

My 15 Minutes of Fame :)

A few weeks ago my mom and I went to the Smokies Baseball game.  I had never been before and it was Pink Ribbon Night....so I thought what a perfect time to go!  They said they were having something special for the survivors before the game started. I signed up at the survivors table and was informed that they were taking us all on the field.  Now I was thinking maybe I might get a T-shirt....and for those of you that know me you know getting in front of people is not my thing.  So I politely told the lady that "Oh I don't have to go on the field."  She told me all the survivors were gonna go onto the field and that I shouldn't be nervous it wouldn't be bad.  So just like he always does God gave me exactly what I needed because it was no more than 2 seconds later I felt a tab on my shoulder. And who else would it be but my friend Rhonda from my young survivor group.
  All my nerves were eased at that moment when I realized there was someone else I knew there........u know everything goes better with a friend and Rhonda pretty  much rocks so it was perfect....God always had perfect timing!  So here we all go onto the field.....next thing I know here comes the Smokies Baseball Team with pink roses in their hands along with some hugs to go with it ;)  We all get an applause and then the lady in charge asks me if I want to throw the first pitch of the game. "I was like no I'm ok".  But then it occurs to me "How many times am I gonna get to throw the 1st pitch at the smokies game??" So here I go out to throw the pitch and the announcer says my name and that I'm a survivor and as he said that something happened that I wish I had on video.......the crowd stood up and clapped for me! WOW....a standing ovation...now there's something I'll probably never see again. 
 Needless to say....I began to cry there in the middle of Smokie's Stadium.....but let me now say this:  The standing ovation I received was not just for me but all survivors....for those who have and are still fighting the battle against breast cancer.  I truly wish they all could have stood out there with me when I received the standing ovation because it wasn't just for me....it was for US ALL!!! :)

2 comments:

meg w. said...

loved this post! you had me crying again with the standing ovation! and you are so brave to throw a pitch in front of all those people... i would have died! congratulations on your well deserved day of fame ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love this post... Your an awesome survivor and I am glad to have met you!