Sunday, March 27, 2011

26 years of Gratitude

So recently I celebrated my 26th birthday.  I can honestly say this year is dramatically different than any other year.  Last year I was in the middle of chemo....hardly able to eat a meal.  This year I was able to enjoy not one but two birthday cakes.  WOW.....what a difference a year can make.  There have been times I forgot what it was like to be able to just eat whatever I wanted on special occasions....b/c of the major stomach problems that chemo caused me and I found it funny that this year one of the things I was most grateful for was the ability to eat my favorite thing....ICING! It sounds so simple but when u loose control of things in your life you never really took the time to think about before....and then you finally get them back you are so appreciative for them. 
   
My whole class  at school threw me a surprise birthday party...needless to say when I walked into the room decorated with Cinderella, a table full of food and a projector screen playing "A dream is a wish your heart makes" the tears flowed freely. Just FYI in case you didn't know or realize I absolutely LOVE Cinderella...hopin one day to make my 1st trip to disney world to meet her. lol I know its crazy I'm 26 and love cinderella but I say it makes me smile and everyone has a kid inside them :)
 Who am I to deserve this........I was and am overwhelmingly grateful for a classroom full of amazingly sweet people who would open their hearts and think of me on my birthday......its definitely more than I deserve and I could not thank them enough.  I also got a night with some of my best friends...to just celebrate my b-day :)  But the biggest thing that I was appreciative of on my birthday this year was.....my life.  It  almost sounds generic but after being told I have cancer twice in less than 1 year....I feel blessed to be alive.  The results of my second round of tests could have easily been worse........but God was there and is still here. Did I have to loose a part of me to save myself...yes....but I remember God says he is with us to the ends of the earth.  I mean even when Jonah was swallowed by a whale he could not escape from God......I know  he walked with me, held my hand, and caught all my tears.....and this year on my birthday I give him the glory for giving me another year to live, laugh, and love.  I hope this year I can do as much as I can for other...to show his love....to give back a some of the  extraordinary love I have been show. :)




No comments: