Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Treatment #3 HALF WAY DONE!! WHOOP WHOOP!!

Well there were a few lessons learned from this week's treatment. 1.)  Fluids and food are VITAL to my staying mobile and semi-healthy after my big treatments.  2.)  If you ever have questions you should call the doctor because he WILL listen 3.) Nausea medication is a GOD send and last but certainly not least 4.) I AM NOT the best patient when it comes to listening to the advice of others! lol  This week's treatment seemed to cut me some slack on the fatigue and body aches compared to last time or so I thought! However, those sneaky little side effects of the chemo sneaked in sunday morning and attacked me FULL FORCE.  I had such a bad taste in my mouth that everything and I mean everything tasted horrible...sprite..diet coke, crackers, mac n' cheese.  So began my downward spiral of not eating much and drinking very little, accompaned with body aches and nausea. It was at this point my mother suggested calling the doctor to ask about suggestions of what to do but HELLO dont' u know I know more than a medical doctor (ha ha or so I like to think) and so I talked her out of it. Granted fluids might have been all he could have done but something was better than nothing. So I waited until today to talk to my doctor and let's just say it was pretty obvious by the time I got there I was not in the best shape.  Just going from laying down to sitting up caused me to feel light headed.  I obviously needed fluids or as Dr. Brigs said "I was outta oil" lol. He told me I should have called sooner and my response was "Please dont' tell my mom that...then she'll know she was right!!!" lol   I must brag on Dr. Brigs here for a moment....when I first spoke with him today I was so exhausted when he asked me "So what's been going on?".....it took all I had not to break down and cry but I held back because I knew once I lost it I would not be able to tell him everything that was going on.  He listened so well to every little thing I said that when the visit was done I wanted to cry AGAIN because I felt like I was finally able to some what unload my stress over the last few days on him and he was so good to listen and respond........he was my light at the end of theses dark few days. :)
So after that I got hooked up to my cocktail mixed a little nausea medication and fluid in there and I was feelin a whole lot better. This weekend was hard and maybe it will be harder, there may be more tears and nausea but some how I know there's a light at the end of this tunnel, there's a purpose in the path I'm going down right now.  In the past 2 weeks I have spoken to 2 different 25 year old women recently diagnosed with breast cancer.  I had the opportunity to use my experience to try and help ease their fears some what, to relate and tell them I understood and I was hear if they wanted to chat, talk, complain, whatever.  In some small way trying to help them helped me, made me feel like I was doing something and using my diagnosis in a positive way or at least that's what I hope and pray I did.    Chemo may knock me down for a week or more but I am a warrior  and with faith in a God that never fails I will kick this....no matter how many times I may lay in bed and pray for better days and think I will never see them I know I will!
I am also so encouraged by the women I meet every week at treatment. Last week I met a woman with Stage 4 metastatic breast cancer in her liver and had been living with it for 7 years and you would never know it.  She was such positive and wonderful to talk to.  Today when I walked in I was greeted by a woman I met two weeks ago who remembered me and called me by name.  She said "Hello Sarah, I have been thinking about you and I have you on prayer lists all across the country with my friends and family".  WOW.....some woman remembered me and were so kind to tell others of me and ask them to pray for me.  This simple acts moves me to tears and I had to hold back today when I spoke with my fellow survivor....she was another light for me in the darkness of the past few days :) 
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26
Also  Thank You for all the cards, texts, calls, etc that everyone gives to me THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...they brighten some of my darkest days and mean more that I could ever say :)
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting"

1 comment:

Amy "Welch" Shave said...

*sniff* *sniff* my kids are taking a midterm, and i am tearing up!
I love you, Sarah